Premiums, Deductions and Co-Payments: What Your Health Coverage Really Costs You

In 2021, the average individual paid $ 7,739 in health insurance premiums; that’s almost $ 650 a month!

If you’re one of the 155 million employers with employer-sponsored health care, your workplace may have covered some (or all) of those costs for you. On the other hand, if you are an independent or self-employed contractor, you may have to pay your own premiums.

Either way, paying (or paying for) your insurance premiums doesn’t mean you don’t have to pay the rest of your health care costs. Other significant out-of-pocket expenses are deductible, co-payments (or co-insurance) and other uncovered services are usually not covered by employers. Let’s take a closer look at how each of these costs works to find out how much you should try to budget for your medical needs.

Deductions: You pay before you pay

If you do not choose an unusual zero-deductible health insurance plan, you must complete your deductible before your insurance company can cover a penny of your health care costs.

In other words, you have to pay a certain amount, often in four digits, in your pocket completely before you start your health insurance. Last year, the average deductible individual employer-sponsored coverage was $ 1,945. For families, it was $ 3,722.

So if you expect to receive large medical bills soon, keep in mind that you will pay at least that amount. in addition to whom you or your employer pay in premiums.

However, there are ways to pay for these costs. For example, if you or your family are enrolled in a high deductible health plan (HDHP), you can contribute to a health savings account (HSA) with a high tax advantage that will help you pay for your health care costs. Your employer may also offer a Health Reimbursement Agreement (HRA) or Flexible Expenditure Account (FSA), which you can use for the same purpose.

Co-payments and co-insurance: You pay when they pay

Once you have completed your deduction, your insurance company will start paying some of your health expenses. The amount they pay will depend on your co-payment or co-insurance breakdown.

In a co-payment agreement, you pay a fixed amount Amount each time you use a particular health service. For example, on Hymn you can pay $ 200 for each x-ray of the plan, $ 100 for each visit to a specialist provider, and $ 25 for each prescription you fill. The insurance provider would cover the remaining costs.

With co-insurance, you pay a fixed amount percentage every time you use a health service. For example, if you have one Swan With an 80/20 co-insurance split plan, your insurance provider will cover 80% of your costs and you will be responsible for the remaining 20%.

Specifically, if an emergency visit costs $ 5,000, Cigna will pay 80% of the bill, or $ 4,000, and you would pay $ 20% or $ 1,000 in costs. Also, a physical therapy session would cost you $ 300 in total, your insurance provider would cover $ 240, and you will be left with a $ 60 bill.

Again, please note that only co-payments and co-insurance are included then you have filled your deduction. Until then, you are responsible for 100% of your health care expenses.

Out-of-Network Costs: Expect to pay more or whatever

However, only your regular deductible and co-payment amounts or co-insurance splits apply online services. These are services provided by doctors or providers who support your health insurance. In other words, it covers your health plans.

However, what if you need health care, take a medication, or visit a provider that is not covered by your insurance company?

In these cases, you will use offline services, which are almost always deductible and have higher co-payments (or lower insurance distributions). For example, if your network deduction was $ 1,000, your off-network deduction could be $ 3,000.

Also, if your insurance plan offered an 80/20 co-insurance split after you meet the deductible for network services, you may encounter a less-than-good 60/40 co-insurance split for off-network costs.

However, not all health insurance covers out-of-network costs. Some may refuse to pay for out-of-network services, meaning you will be uninsured for all out-of-network medical expenses or procedures.

Fortunately, new rules are being put in place to ensure that consumers do not receive unforeseen medical bills when searching for offline services. The No Surprise Act (NSA), as part of the Consolidated Budget Act of 2021, prohibits health insurance providers from charging higher co-payments (or introducing less beneficial insurance distributions) in all emergencies for offline services. and some non-emergency care settings.

You simply can’t charge more for out-of-network services than for in-network care; hopefully a welcome development that will help you sleep a little better at night.

Leave a Comment